Danielle Huebner's Reviews > The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future

The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein

Mar 02, 12

liked it
Read in February, 2012

As a whole, I enjoyed this book quite well. Although sometimes I found Bauerlein's examples faulty and his assumptions a little too radical for the vague statistics he's offered, I agree with him in general. It's obvious that he never expected the recession to get so bad, but even now a lot of his points apply.

Kids these days are lazy and unmotivated. As a high schooler, I think I know that. However, if he does nothing else, Bauerlein points out that my generation's modern stupidity isn't entirely our fault. He concluded his book with a notion that I agree with with my entire being: adults, mentors, and society need to step up. Kids need to be challenged, motivated, not just handed a computer and expected to learn. No matter how people go about it, we need to change and, honestly, we can't do it alone.

An interesting read, maybe not the most agreeable, but Bauerlein gets his point across.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dumbest Generation.