Deslni01's Reviews > Falconry Manual

Falconry Manual by Frank Beebe

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, falconry, ornithology, birds, hunting
Read in June, 2009

Reviewer's preface: This is the first book I have read about falconry, and at this point in my life I am merely a casual observer and information seeker, rather than an individual ready to take the plunge into apprenticeship and eventually mastery of the sport. As such, take my review with a grain of salt as I have very little knowledge to compare against or with the book.[return][return]A Falconry Manual is an excellent introductory book into the world of falconry. Written by Frank Beebe, one of the most well-respected falconers, the information comes straight from one of the most educated and experienced of North America's falconers at the time of publishing (1976). Roughly the first half of the book is an introduction to the different birds available for falconry in North America - falcons, buteos and accipiters. Each bird has at least two pages that describe its characteristics and traits, natural habitats, the type of prey and its attack methods, and how easy or difficult it is to be trained.[return][return]The rest of the book offers a glimpse into acquiring a falcon, some of the the equipment necessary and how to make them, training, and hunting with the birds. When certain aspects are different for different species of birds, the following section takes care of that. A Falconry Manual contains a lot of general and broad information about nearly every aspect of the sport, but also excludes some information (health concerns, and more specific techniques). However, he accomplishes a great deal in introducing the sport to the reader, and that is how the book should be viewed: as an introductory book to give the reader the general outline of nearly every aspect of the sport. This is an excellent book to pass around to anyone who may be slightly interested in the sport (and who wouldn't be?), and the price (between $15-20 USD) allows one to purchase two or three copies specifically for that purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falconry Manual.