Anna Banana's Reviews > Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

May 06, 12

Read from April 21 to May 06, 2012

This review also appears on my blog World of Books

Review: Considering I've haven't heard many good things about this book I was expecting to hate it, in fact that's what really stopped me from reading this book earlier but I'm happy I gave it a shot because I actually really enjoyed it.

First thing: If you're expecting some Disney version of mermaids and all that happy stuff then maybe you shouldn't read this. This novel introduces a whole new definition to mermaids and from other reviews I get the feeling not many people were happy with that. But I find it refreshing. Why would I want to read something I've seen a million times? Lies Beneath shows us the dark side to mermaids and how getting a mermaids attention is not always a good thing.

I'll admit, the whole killing other people to survive thing was a bit shocking but its not like its overly gory or anything. But Calder's sisters are a different story. You would think that because their girls they would be the ones with the sweeter heart and forgiving nature but its in fact the complete opposite. All I'm saying is I would never want to mess with his sisters, actually I would never even want to meet them. They show almost no mercy and when they want something they don't give up till they get it no matter the consequences.

One of the things I loved about this book was the male POV. I loved seeing things through Calder's eyes and really getting the full mermaid experience. I liked Calder from the beginning but I was a bit hesitant about him at some parts. I loved that nothing seemed rushed and everything went at a good pace, especially the love aspect. Lily wasn't even interested in Calder at first and it was refreshing to see the girl finally push the boy away. But then they get to know each other and slowly they develop feelings for each other.

If there's anything I can make absolutely clear about this book its not to believe every bad things you've heard about it. Read this book with an open mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.