Carrie Lim's Reviews > The Runaway Countess

The Runaway Countess by Leigh LaValle

Sizzling hot from start to finish!

I can hardly think after all the emotions. The feelings. Oh, how these feelings and thoughts are still resonating within me even after hours I had put my tablet down. And it was a struggle to put it down. I kept going back, wanting to re-read my favorite parts and just soak in these moments LaValle created.

LaValle's voice is very distinct and I'm kind of in love with the way she can string words together and create these profound sentences that unravel in such a moving way. Her voice. Her characters. Her characters' voices.

Both Lord Radford and Mazie are incredibly well developed. The way they speak, their personalities, so defined and complex. Love how they are so very telling in how they express themselves by their actions and words and words they choose not to say.

The chemistry between Lord Radford and Mazie is undeniable and present and so very real, it hurts in the most delicious way.

One thing that I absolutely loved about Radford and Mazie is that neither lost themselves, they stayed true to their character from start to finish! None of the OOC business to suit the plot. Mazie and Radford were all about learning who they were and learning to trust in that, whatever they were to be and become.

(view spoiler)

Have I said too much? Surely, this story deserves more praise! More stars than I could give. After having read Leigh LaValle's thrilling debut novel, I am excited to say I am a fan and will most surely read her future works. I want more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runaway Countess.

Quotes Carrie Liked

Leigh LaValle
“It was a kiss born of thunderstorms and the wild loneliness of the night. It was hot, fierce, and needy.”

Leigh LaValle
“No person can do this or that to keep another from being truly free. We are always free. Even if imprisoned.”

Leigh LaValle
“What would you tell her about me?”
He did not just ask that.
“You did not just ask that.” She chuckled.
“I’m serious,” he smiled.
“Very well, if you must know, I would say that you are arrogant and foolish, too handsome for your own good and far too cognizant of your own intellect. Unbending, unsympathetic, dogmatic, pig-headed—”
“Handsome?” he interrupted, unable to keep the smile from his face. “And intelligent?”
“Don’t forget arrogant.”

Leigh LaValle
“How do they do it?” He stopped at her side, his eyes on the jugglers. It seemed impossible that not one ball fell to the ground.
“Determination.” She elbowed him playfully. “And being willing to make a few mistakes.”

Leigh LaValle
“It distressed him seeing her so upset. And his distress over her distress distressed him even more. Which made no sense being that she continued to lie to him, even knowing what he had at stake.
She was a devil of a confusing woman.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diana Oh, C. You know we haven't said enough. I'm almost afraid we'll spontaneously combust when we see each other tomorrow, lol. Awesome review!

Carrie Lim Diana wrote: "Oh, C. You know we haven't said enough. I'm almost afraid we'll spontaneously combust when we see each other tomorrow, lol. Awesome review!"

Gah, too much to say... Not enough words! How to voice them? I feel like rereading it again just to feel all the feelings again!