Nataliya's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: dystopia-postapocalyptic, 2012-reads
Read from March 03 to 04, 2012

Brave New World is a classic written to make its readers uncomfortable. It accomplishes its point well. Still, it is only getting 3 stars from me, as I rate books based on my personal level of enjoyment rather than literary value.

The characters of this book were not meant to be likeable - I am fine with that concept. The first few chapters made me want to curl up in the corner and cry - that's how repulsive the design of this universe was (mission accomplished, Mr. Huxley). But as we plunge into the depths of the neverending moral message of the story (basically the entire last third of the book), I felt my patience stretching thin. I get the message, no need to beat me over the head with it.

I did chuckle at the ridiculous consumerism of this world (inspired by America of the turn of the century) in which, unexpectedly, most characters have distinct socialist names - Lenina, Trotsky, Marx, Bernard (as in G.B.Shaw). I just think it's funny how both of the enemies of Huxley's ideal world - the competing ideologies of socialism and rampant consumerism - were dealt with in one blow. Good try - but come on!

I liked the description of the effects of soma drug on the mind. No wonder, as this was written by the author of The Doors of Perception about mescaline effects on the mind - an interesting read, by the way.

Of the classic trio of dystopian books (this one, Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and Zamyatin's We) this one is my least favorite (We is the best, in my opinion, and may have actually inspired this one). Brave New World succeeds at portraying dystopia at its worst and making the reader think, but stilted language and moral heavy-handedness take away from the enjoyment. Yet it's a classic, and should be read, even if not for fun. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

03/03/2012 page 45
17.0% "This book makes me want to curl up in a ball in the corner and cry..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arsalan ale your personal point of view so much corresponds to my literary evaluation :))

Nataliya Arsalan wrote: "your personal point of view so much corresponds to my literary evaluation :))"

Great minds think alike? ;)

Arsalan ale Nataliya wrote: "Arsalan wrote: "your personal point of view so much corresponds to my literary evaluation :))"

Great minds think alike? ;)"

haha yes but with a little difference! i gave 2 stars and you gave 3

Nataliya Arsalan wrote: "Nataliya wrote: "Arsalan wrote: "your personal point of view so much corresponds to my literary evaluation :))"

Great minds think alike? ;)"

haha yes but with a little difference! i gave 2 stars ..."

Well, yeah, but in the end it seems that neither of us was terribly impressed by it.

Shannyn I felt the same way about the last 1/3 or so of the book. Too much redundant ideology and focus on just 1 or 2 of the characters.

Tracey Madeley As a contrasting opinion I thought Brave New World was incredible. Yes, it is very ideological and political and if you don't like that sort of thing I can understand you loosing patience with it.
i thought the gentic manipulation of IQ was shocking, the subliminal conditioning and disengagement frightening and the banning of books appauling. The price of stability being freedom.
Equally the reservation sufferred from primative superstitions and prejudice.
Surely the point of a dystopian novel is to inspire you to change society before it's too late. All Post Modernists will tell you there are no more meta-narratives (big ideas) that all ideology is redundant in this fragmented, globalized world and don't forget to take your soma.

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff I really like your review. Have you checked out leebrii.com? It's a streamlined approach to connecting people & books. It would be great to have you join the community.

Nataliya Geoff wrote: "I really like your review. Have you checked out leebrii.com? It's a streamlined approach to connecting people & books. It would be great to have you join the community."

Thanks, Geoff. And no - I have never even heard of that site; but in all honesty, I think trying to keep up with just one book site is taking up quite a bit of my limited time, so I think I'll just stick with GR for now.

message 9: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Awesome, keep on reviewing!!

Nataliya Geoff wrote: "Awesome, keep on reviewing!!"

Will do ;)

Rafael Corvera burciaga I liked -and agree with- your review, there were parts on the book in which i felt angered, on other parts i felt absolutely disgusted by them. And the characters! none of them are likeable.
But i really liked the story though.

Nataliya Rafael wrote: "I liked -and agree with- your review, there were parts on the book in which i felt angered, on other parts i felt absolutely disgusted by them. And the characters! none of them are likeable.
But i ..."