L.E.Olteano 's Reviews > Murder in Devon

Murder in Devon by Maggi Andersen

5203869
May 24, 12

bookshelves: book-tour, blog-review, reviewed, received-for-review
Read from May 13 to 18, 2012

I've had a great time reading this romantic suspense. Maggi Andersen's writing hooked me from the first two lines, I think. It might have been the first one though, I don't know. It was that kind of instant connection with a story, you know what I mean?

The plot was intriguing and it did pull me in. I am a sucker for murder mysteries, and I love the ones that really make my think about who did it. I thought about who did in this case until the very end of the story, I had my suspicions and a circle of suspects, so to speak, and I was glad to find out in the end that it was one of my suspects. I'm not letting you know anything, of course, spoilers are d00m. But the murder mystery aspect of it wasn't the only thing keeping me guessing, I was so anxious about Casey and Rod, will they end up together, won't they? So it was a suspenseful read on all accounts, really.

The romantic part of the plot wasn't in your face, more like it was woven into the structure of the story, and it helped built up a lot of tension. The chemistry between the main couple was awesome, but all characters were intriguing and rather charismatic here, even the bad guys in fact. Don and Tessa were really intriguing too, both as a couple and on their own, and though Don's character was an absentee for most of the story, I felt he was quite solidly built, I had a clear sense of who he was.

The writing was, perhaps, my favorite part of it all. Accessible and really well paced action/tension wise, it helped build up all the tension you needed to be on edge of your seat but also gave a lighthearted note to everything going on. Thanks to that charming nature, I felt the whole thing intensely but at no point did I get really overwhelmed. The tensest moment of the plot was indeed tiling more toward overwhelming, but it was a quick spike, enough to keep your adrenaline pumping but not too much. I love that balance in my reads, and I found it here.

Overall, I say you should give this a try if you're into romantic suspense. Definitely had a great time reading it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in Devon.