Bethany's Reviews > For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, retellings, authors-i-love, books-i-own
Recommended for: Fans of Jane Austen and Dystopian novels!!!
Read from June 18 to 21, 2012

Well, I'll start off by saying that I was stunned and thrilled when I heard the premise for this book. Being a huge fan of Persuasion and a huge fan of dystopian settings, It almost blew my mind when I heard about a book that put one of my all-time favorite romance stories into a dystopian setting. I had very high hopes for this novel and it did NOT let me down.

Diana Peterfreund's novel was a beautifully written retelling of a classic love story. All the elements that made Persuasion so wonderful were there, featured and highlighted. The characters were lovable and dynamic. While aspects of the setting felt very similar to Persuasion, there were a lot of ways it felt different. The novel definitely had the feel of a dystopian. The concepts of the Reduced and Posts were interesting. I enjoyed that the focus of societies downfall was centered around multiple factors. There was religion, economics, medicine, politics. I thought all Peterfreund's ideas were well thought out and brought a lot to an already wonderful story.

I loved the letters between Elliot and Kai. It was a great way to give us a kind of before and after of Kai. I liked being able to set the man we met against the boy in the letters and try and figure out exactly what was going on in his head. I loved Elliot's strong character as much as I love Ann from Persuasion.

The additions of things like the medical enhancements and sun carts made the novel have that extra bit of color and were great concepts.

All in all, I just loved this book. I think this story put to any setting would win me over, but I was very impressed with what Diana Peterfreund did with this book. I would highly recommend it to both dystopian and Jane Austen lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Darkness Shows the Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Persuasion plus dystopia?? Oh my...what...I can't...That sound you just heard? My mind blowing. I must get my hands on this.

Bethany Andrea wrote: "Persuasion plus dystopia?? Oh my...what...I can't...That sound you just heard? My mind blowing. I must get my hands on this."

haha! I know, right?! It was pretty awesome. I really liked it a lot :)