Nataliya's Reviews > Proper Gauge

Mar 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads, dystopia-postapocalyptic
Read on March 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Now we get a glimpse into the politics of the dreadful silo of Wool - usually a boring part of any series, but it was handled quite well in this one. And we get the clearer idea of the "bad guys" in the story. And we get the better idea of the scope of this world, the hugeness of the silo.

The writing remains good in this installment. I did miss the completeness and the haunted feeling of the first novella. However, this is inevitable since, unlike the first one, this one was not originally intended to be a standalone piece. Wool 2 is a different read since it sets the stage for the conflict of the expanded story, and this part has the tedious (but still very enjoyable in this case) task of setting up the larger picture and introducing the characters.

I think Wool could have easily remained a wonderful standalone novelette, but on the other hand I am grateful to be able to see more of this world, and will be immediately moving on to Wool 3. Good story with much potential. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proper Gauge.

03/02/2012
3.0% "Since I love knitting (thanks, Grandma!), reading about it in a book makes me smile :)"

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay I can't wait to finally sit down and read this book!

Nataliya I hope you'll like it! I am about 10% into the third book, and I really like the way this story unfolds.