Heather's Reviews > Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave, Written by Himself

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass

Sep 18, 08

bookshelves: library, non-fiction, biography, 2008, gabe, america
Read in September, 2008

One man's experience as a slave, his escape in his early twenties, his adjustment to freedom, and settling into a new life in New Bedford with his wife. Very fascinating read, written by a man of obviously great intellect. This book did much to spur on the abolishionist movement in the two decades leading into the Civil War. Yet another book that we should have read in high school US History, or Civics.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.

Sarah Pienkos I really enjoyed this read because of the moral questioning and one man's desire to learn. Let me know what you think after you read it! :)

Heather I really enjoyed this book - obviously a person of very high intelligence from an early age. Putting aside the horror of what he lived through, I really really liked this book, and would easily re-read it. This one could / should be a required reading maybe even for children in the 5th / 6th grade? I think he wrote well enough about his early life that they could relate.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria every time i reads stroys like that i start to cry, so i try not to read lost of them.sorry to say.