Sheila's Reviews > Misfits and Heroes: West from Africa - Revised Version

2039269
Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: cultural, relationships, historical
Read in March, 2012

Combining a well-researched prehistoric world, reminiscent of Jean Auel’s novels, with the mysticism of Yann Martel’s Life of Pi, Kathleen Flanagan Rollins tells of those quiet misfits in 12,000BC Africa whose actions just might have changed the world.

Misfits and Heroes, West From Africa tells an endlessly fascinating story with action and character smoothly integrated into history, geography and gentle mysticism. The rivers of Africa flow to the sea. The shaman tells the season with standing stones. The leader learns to keep count. And tribes people form and break alliances. From hill to forest to beach, from patterns of rocks in sand to lines in rock, from geometric story-telling techniques to sports and casting spears, and from canoe to sails… this novel has it all and kept me enthralled from beginning to end.

The greatest heroes of world history may in fact be the unsung misfits whose families survive, rather than the well-known warriors who die in battle. Drawn together, driven apart then reunited again, the water-diviner and the clanless wanderer are just part of the curious band who end up like family in this thoroughly enjoyable tale. My only complaint is that the title didn’t entice me into realizing what a treat was in store.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misfits and Heroes.