Book Nerd's Reviews > Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

I loved this book I did get half way and stopped reading it for a while, but than over Christmas brake I had nothing better to do so I decided to finish it and I'm glad I did its a really good story of a girl that falls down her school steps and hits her head and wineds up with amnesia. Throw out the whole book she is trying to figure out who she is and the who the people around her are and why they are part of her life, she happens to change and, but of cores your not going to be the same person you were after forgetting your life after hitting your head, but this book has romance, friendship and is relatieable in different ways. at first its a little slow but I highly recommended this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.

Quotes Book Nerd Liked

Gabrielle Zevin
“You forget all of it anyway. . . You forget who was cool and who was not, who was pretty, smart, athletic, and not. . . You forget all of them. Even the ones you said you loved, and even the ones you actually did. They’re the last to go. And then once you’ve forgotten enough, you love someone else.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“Someday, we’ll run into each other again, I know it.
Maybe I’ll be older and smarter and just plain better. If that happens,
that’s when I’ll deserve you. But now, at this moment, you can’t hook
your boat to mine, because I’m liable to sink us both.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“I was crying a little for the boy I had wanted him to be and the boy he hadn’t turned out to be.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“It was strange, really. A couple months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“You forget all of it anyway. First, you forget everything you learned-the dates of the Hay-Herran Treaty and Pythagorean Theorem. You especially forget everything you didn't really learn, but just memorized the night before. You forget the names of all but one or two of your teachers, and eventually you'll forget those, too. You forget your junior class schedule and where you used to sit and your best friend's home phone number and the lyrics to that song you must have played a million times. For me, it was something by Simon & Garfunkel. Who knows what it will be for you? And eventually, but slowly, oh so slowly, you forget your humiliations-even the ones that seemed indelible just fade away. You forget who was cool and who was not, who was pretty, smart, athletic, and not. Who went to a good college. Who threw the best parties Who could get you pot. You forget all of them. Even the ones you said you loved, and even the ones you actually did. They're the last to go. And then once you've forgotten enough, you love someone else.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“Above all, mine is a love story. Unlike most love stories, this one involves chance, gravity, a dash of head trauma. It began with a coin toss. The coin came up tails. I was heads. Had it gone my way, there might not be a story at all. Just a chapter, or a sentence in a book whose greater theme had yet to be determined. Maybe this chapter would've had the faintest whisper of love about it. But maybe not. Sometimes, a girl needs to lose.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“It was odd to have something so personal out there in that way, but the good thing about art is that no one necessarily knows what you mean by it anyway.”
tags: art

Gabrielle Zevin
“And I was crying for gravity. It had sent me down the stairs, and I'd thought that meant something, but maybe it was just the direction that all things tend to flow.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“Ask two people to tell you anything, you’ll get two versions. Even easy things like directions, let alone important or semi-controversial topics like why a fight started or what a person was generally like. If you don’t know something for yourself, you just can’t be sure.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“It was such a sweet, sad song with such sweet, sad lyrics. Old-fashioned a little, but also timeless.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“Love stories are written in millimeters and milliseconds with a fast, dull pencil whose marks you can barely see, they are written in miles and eons with a chisel on the side of a mountiantop”

Gabrielle Zevin
“I wondered if the person who really loves you is the person who knows all your stories, the person who WANTS to know all your stories.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“What were you like," I asked her. "we're you happy? Or were you smiling because they told you to?”

Gabrielle Zevin
“Have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel.”

Gabrielle Zevin
“It's when you don't need something that you tend to lose it.”