Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Prudence Wants a Pet

Prudence Wants a Pet by Cathleen Daly

Mar 10, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, gr-a, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Read on March 09, 2012

I always wanted a dog when I was growing up and I’m still attracted to “I want a pet” type books. I have many on my shelves, including these four with similar titles: I Want A Dog and I Really Want a Dog and I Want a Dog! and I Want a Dog!. And here’s one I haven’t read yet, with the same theme but a differently worded title: Wanted: The Perfect Pet. And there are others. I couldn’t have a dog or cat when I was young. I was fortunate to have a dog for nine years as an adult but most of my life I’ve lived in no pets allowed apartments. I love cats too, and I know I’ve read some wonderful companion cat books.

So, this book:

Ha! I love how Prudence tries out her baby brother Milo as an example of a pet. (And I love the name Milo and have ever since I read The Phantom Tollbooth when I was eight.)

I love Prudence’s imaginativeness and resourcefulness. This is a fun story.

I really enjoyed the relating of Prudence's first incidence of tears due to feeling happy vs. sad.

I’ve liked a few other books illustrated by this author and I enjoyed his pictures here too, even though the style seemed quite different from the illustrations in some of his other books.

I wouldn’t recommend this to kids who were in the position I was in: no pets, no pets allowed, but for kids who have pets, can have pets, or don’t have a hankering for pets, this is a very engaging book. No big shocker. I guessed the exact ending. (view spoiler)

And the last page (while not a huge shock) is very cute.

Wonderful read aloud book!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prudence Wants a Pet.