daniel's Reviews > The Best American Short Stories 2011

The Best American Short Stories 2011 by Geraldine Brooks

Mar 02, 2012

Read in March, 2012

there is some very good writing, of course, that does not stir the blood. it's cool, cerebral. tricksy, clever. i admire it in the same way i admire the technical proficiency of a cirque de soleil acrobat: 'look what she's doing up there. i didn't realize a rotator cuff had that range of motion.' but i'm not moved by it. and by the end of the show, so many amazing things have been done that amazement becomes a kind of boredom.

-- ms. brooks's introduction

with these best-of collections, it often strikes me as cruel to put stories in a collection with the likes of stories by richard powers, or steven millhauser, or george saunders. that being said: sam lipsyte's 'the dungeon master' made me read it again i enjoyed it so much; allegra goodman's 'la vita nuova' made me fall in love with style (and the protagonist despite the trope of 'the perfect child' who was her babysitting charge); nathan englander's 'free fruit for young widows' took themes/settings i don't usually enjoy (holocaust, war, moral intellectual debate) and riveted me; and caitlin horrocks's 'the sleep', her story of a town that decides to hibernate the winter months away, was, by far, my favorite of the whole collection.

but george. oh george! thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Short Stories 2011.