Emily's Reviews > Sophie's Choice

Sophie's Choice by William Styron

Jun 15, 12

Read from May 08 to 25, 2012

This is one monumental novel. I picked it up at a car boot sale, thinking "ah, Meryl Streep, this will be nice", hoping for some romantic interest and perhaps a bit of historical drama.
Oh how wrong I was.
This book covers incredible amounts of persecution and suffering, so much so that the horrors become mind-numbing. Not just suffering at Auschwitz and in Poland throughout WW2, but all kinds of suffering still alive today. Parallels are drawn with racism in the South, but also all kinds of racial stereotypes.
William Styron is also one of those authors who writes about writing in his writing. I like the way that despite Stingo being a young writer and obsessed with the written word, the main storyline of the novel is always recounted orally. I think it says something about how ink and paper are not almighty, and some pain can only be expressed through the music of the voice.
There are so many interesting aspects to this novel, I could waffle on about it for hours. You should read it, it's a life-changing book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sophie's Choice.

05/08/2012 page 53