Vicky's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: book-club, gardening, nonfiction
Read from March 03 to 20, 2012

The preachy tone of this book is sure to turn some people off: BUY LOCAL FOOD AND SAVE THE PLANET! If, while you're reading this book, you don't feel guilt about buying bananas or annoyance at Kingsolver for getting on her high horse about the virtues of organic produce, you are already one of the converted and/or already own an organic farm.

If this book had been written with a humble, more humorous tone it would have been more enjoyable.

I'm not saying I disagree with her. I think we should be more aware about where our food comes from and what has been done to it before we eat it. Then if you still choose to purchase that ground beef, you at least know what has happened to it on its route to you.

My problem is her argument that organic, local food is affordable in the long run. Maybe if you're growing it yourself. I checked the local farmer's market last year for a price comparison to my local supermarket. While the farmer's market produce was undoubtedly superior, the prices were double to triple the price for the same product at the grocery store. I would LIKE to support local farmers, but I can't afford to double my grocery bill. So local, organic produce will remain a luxury for me, rather than a pantry staple. Until local food is at least somewhat close in price to what Joe Shmoe can buy at the local supermarket, it will never be a mainstream movement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.