Angela's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Feb 15, 13

bookshelves: books-read, favorites, own
Read from March 02 to April 04, 2012

Where do I even begin? There has been so much praise about this book, I fear this review will probably mean dejavu for many of you that have read other reviews on it. Nonetheless, I feel I have to get my thoughts and feelings across, so let us begin.

This book was amazing. Such an incredibly vague and over used word, but it seriously was. From page 1 up to page 487, Miss. Roth had my full attention. There was always something going on, whether it be big or small, it made it virtually impossible to ever want to put this book down. I must admit, the timing was not right for the reading of this book as all during March I was considerably busy.

Word of advise? Make sure you read this book when you have the time! It will save you a lot of book torture. This is one big book, chalk-full of events that will make you want to read until the very end, so it would be wise to consider your time.

Aside from that, the characters I promise you, will not disappoint. Divergent is the perfect example of book with well crafted characters. Our main character, Tris, was probably the best character I've ever read about. You see her grow as a human being throughout the book, and you see her weaknesses and strengths and how they effect her. You see her become the person she ought to be, not the person society wants her to be. You see that in today's society, of people being what society tells them to be. Props to Tris for going against this. I must say actually, props to all the people in this dystopian world that did what they thought was best. I think it's what makes the characters so likable. And Four, you ask, yeah he was pretty darn amazing and will be the male protagonist you'll fall head over heels for. He won't disappoint either.

Overall, the story line was well laid out with no plot holes, and it was actually interesting. I can't say there was ever a time I was bored while reading this. There is so much described and created in this dystopian world, that the writing was there, but you don't see it. All you see is this world Roth has imagined and created using her imagination. It was quite incredible. This book will never bore you!

One last thing I just have to note: That ending was incredible! It was the best, most satisfying ending ever! Its not really a major cliff hanger, it was actually a good conclusion. Really, a lot of authors suck at conclusions. Don't deny it. But Veronica Roth created the most amazing ending that didn't leave me tormented, or not wanting me to read the next book, but it left me satisfied, still making me want the sequel, but deal- able. I can actually live my life without the ending replaying in my mind. So thank you Roth for such a great ending.

Ultimately, this is the best book I have ever read. All year, and every year. It has made its mark in spot number one. I will be feverishly awaiting the sequel, Insurgent!

Questions: What Faction do you think you'd choose?
My Answer: Probably Abnegation, because I'm the type of person that always thinks of the other. Always.
How about you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Angela Liked

Veronica Roth
“I am selfish. I am brave.”

Veronica Roth
“Who cares about pretty? I'm going for noticeable.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

03/02/2012 "Thought it was about time I read this puppy. Has only been sitting on my shelf for God knows how long..."
03/26/2012
100.0% "This is so good, just haven't had the time :("
03/28/2012
50.0% "This is so FREAKING good! Why has it taken me so long to just sit down and read this?"
04/03/2012
75.0% "Zoik! This is amazing!"
show 1 hidden update…