Redshirt Knitting's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2012

I realized last week that I am swiftly approaching 40, and have never read this book. What can I say? At the time when it was popular, I was too busy chugging through the oeuvre of Dragonlance and Star Trek novels.

So... this book. This book is a thing.

The writing is just horrible, and no, I can't excuse it for having been ostensibly written by the narrator, an overly-dramatic teenage girl. I wanted to love all of its shocking and lurid nature, but I was constantly being deflated by the glacial pace of every sentence, paragraph, scene, chapter.

As for the incest, golly-wow (to use the narrator's favorite swear word) there was a lot of it. But to tell you the truth, I was more disturbed by the book's pro-anorexia message. The narrator becomes more beautiful and evanescent the thinner she gets. When she skips her ration of food, it is depicted as a noble sacrifice for the rest of the family. Naturally, she compensates for not eating by practicing ballet for hours at a time.

And in the end, of course, her anorexia literally saves her life.

But a special shout-out to the rape apologia. "I could have stopped it if I had really wanted to." Sure, that's an awesome message to put in the mouth of a teenage girl, you betcha.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.