Taschima Cullen's Reviews > The Hunger Pains: A Parody

Jun 23, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-own, 1-star-shelf
Read from March 02 to 05, 2012

You can find more reviews @BloodyBookaholic

I finally made it through that. It was hard to make myself read till the very end, but I managed it! I give myself props for that, and I will tell you why.

First off, this was supposed to be a parody am I not correct? Well, where is the funny? I can count the amount of times I CHUCKLED while reading this book with one of my hands. I have a sense of humor, I am not one of those readers who gets offended if someone makes a joke about a book I like, but if it's not a funny joke I'm not gonna laugh! This book was just written because The Hunger Games is all the hype now and they wanted to take a stab at it. They did it with Twilight (and that one was actually kind of funny) but this one? They couldn't get a funny angle on it! Some of the "funny" points of the book include:

-Peeta (in the book Pita) is super fat, loves to eat, and can't move from point A to point B without needing assistance. First off, why would this be funny? With better writing I could see someone making a joke out of Peeta being SO IN LOVE with Katniss (her name in the parody is Kantkiss, ha ha... not). But no, they decided to play on the fat jokes, and trust me they don't make you laugh at all.

-Gale (in the book his name is Carol... why again?) is super into himself and is always plaging Kantkiss' thoughts. Again with better writing I could potentially get into this, but it really had no comic effect in the story. None what so ever.

-Rue (Run in the book) is a baby. LITERALLY. She is a freaking baby (quite deadly at that; she manages to kill a couple of people). I just... no. What's even badder (if that is even a word) is that they use the farts jokes with her. Please just stop it, you are making it worse.

-Kantkiss is just a narrator throughout the story with no original voice of her own. She is incredibly naivee and holds more of her share of stupid stocks. You are killing me book.

At least if you are going to poke fun at a book (which I am totally for) do it in a funny way! With GOOD writing! This book seems like someone scrambled to put it together at the very last minute with a lot of bad outdated jokes (much like Cinna does in the book with Kantkiss's dresses- at one point she was a mummy made out of toilet paper, sounds funny in theory but in the book is torture). And god it took me so long to finish, I had to make myself sit down and finish it because I wanted to have the right to say to you guys that I finished this book in its entirety and it sucked. The most enjoyable part of The Hunger Pains in my opinion was when the hovercraft people collected the dead bodies and we got a glimpse of what they were talking about, which was their boring day to day lives. By the end of the book I even wanted Kantkiss to die to know how Dave was doing (the last convo he wanted to open his own fish restaurant but needed help in getting money for said opening, I hope everything works out for you Dave).

And because I don't want to seen as being completely negative (even though this is the first book I have given a one star to in over 2 years) here is one of the parts that made me chuckle:

"Just as I'm realizing how difficult it will be to dig a hole with my bare hands, a parachute drops down containing a metal shove. Great, another brainteaser from buttitch. What could it mean?

...

That's when I understand the meaning of the shovel, and with a quick smack on the back of the head, Pita is out like a light."

I would have looked for the other one that made me chuckle, but I don't want to go through it again. Please don't make me.

62 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Pains.

03/02/2012 page 53
34.0% "This is the shortest, and the longest book I've ever read."
03/05/2012 page 99
63.0% "I have to finish this eventually." 2 comments
03/05/2012 page 157
100.0% "Oh god I finally finished it! Thought it would never end..."
show 1 hidden update…

Taschima Cullen Source material? If you mean The Hunger Games books then I am more than familiar with them, having read them various times. If you mean Harvard Lampoon then I have also read other books by them that aren't that funny (books for which I have also read the originals). I do not know what exactly you mean, so excuse me if I am misunderstanding you, but this book just isn't funny... and it seems I am not the only one who thinks so.

Maybe you would like it, you never know, so don't let me stop you, go and give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Oh. I assumed you hadn't read the Hunger Games since you seemed uncertain of whether it was a parody or not. But I see now you were doing so sarcastically.

Taschima Cullen Hoss wrote: "Oh. I assumed you hadn't read the Hunger Games since you seemed uncertain of whether it was a parody or not. But I see now you were doing so sarcastically."

Oh yeah xD Sorry about that, but yes I have read the books time and time again, and from the get go I knew it was going to be hard for the book to get a funny grip on The Hunger Games. Valiant effort, too bad it failed miserably.

message 4: by Peetabread. (new)

Peetabread. I think why the name of Gale is Carol is because it makes fun of the way that Gale is also a feminine name.

Taschima Cullen Peetabread. wrote: "I think why the name of Gale is Carol is because it makes fun of the way that Gale is also a feminine name."

Gale would be considered a feminine name? Uh, didn't know. I always thought it was a guy name, Gale. Thanks Peetabread!

Shana A horse from summer camp was named Gale! It was a girl though!

Miss Bookiverse The news reporter (female) in the Scream movies is called Gale, too ;)

message 8: by Chlojo (new)

Chlojo what are you serious they made peeta fat! What the hell is wrong with them. That is the mst beloved character in the series. Talk about dry humor

Shana I actually liked Gale better, but I agree that they shouldn't have made him fat.

message 10: by Elisa (new)

Elisa I was going to read it but after reading your review, i might wait awhile. Thanks for the heads up! Your review made me smile though. haha i thought it was going to be like nightlight(twiligh) which had me laughing but I guess it's not!

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Um. I don't know what to say except for "where did your sense of humor run off to? Or did you even have one?"

Taschima Cullen Chlojo wrote: "what are you serious they made peeta fat! What the hell is wrong with them. That is the mst beloved character in the series. Talk about dry humor"

Lol The making him fat didn't bother me as much as that it just wasn't humorous at all! xD

Taschima Cullen Shana wrote: "I actually liked Gale better, but I agree that they shouldn't have made him fat."

Gale is dreamy sure, but I always had a soft spot for Peeta :)

Taschima Cullen Elissa wrote: "I was going to read it but after reading your review, i might wait awhile. Thanks for the heads up! Your review made me smile though. haha i thought it was going to be like nightlight(twiligh) whic..."

I say try it and then come back here and let me know how did it go for you. You never know, I say it wasn't humorous at all (I had to make myself finish it) but for you it may be hilarious, we all have different senses of humor after all.

Taschima Cullen Kate wrote: "Um. I don't know what to say except for "where did your sense of humor run off to? Or did you even have one?""

I am guessing you liked it, and that is fine. This is an honest review of my experience of reading the novel, which was a damn horrible one. My sense of humor is where it has always resided, right next to my funny bone, they like to keep each other company. I don't have to defend my opinion, but I think I have explained myself very clearly on my review.

I am guessing that the people who "liked" my review liked it because they felt somehow the same when it came to this book, so I am sure I am not alone.

message 16: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne Renee Kudos to you for finishing it! I couldn't. That is the first book I've ever had that I returned for a refund. I agree with everything you said. Just an awful excuse for a parody.

message 17: by Uriah (new) - added it

Uriah I liked The Hunger Games and am curious about the parody. I tried reading The Twilight one, but hadn't read any other Harvard Lampoon books, nor Twilight at the time. I have to say, tho, your review was quite funny.

message 18: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Uriah wrote: "I liked The Hunger Games and am curious about the parody. I tried reading The Twilight one, but hadn't read any other Harvard Lampoon books, nor Twilight at the time. I have to say, tho, your revie..."

i actually liked the twilight parody...well sort of. It started out hilarious- I was literally laughing out loud- but towards the end it just fizzled out.

message 19: by Eva (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eva I thought this parody was a bit ridiculous but as a Team Gale I lol'd at the portrayal of Peeta.

Taschima Cullen Uriah wrote: "I liked The Hunger Games and am curious about the parody. I tried reading The Twilight one, but hadn't read any other Harvard Lampoon books, nor Twilight at the time. I have to say, tho, your revie..."

Thank you Uriah ^^ And Elisa is right about the Twilight parody; it starts out strong but fizzles out by the end.

message 21: by Chlojo (new)

Chlojo Ta§chima wrote: "Hoss wrote: "Oh. I assumed you hadn't read the Hunger Games since you seemed uncertain of whether it was a parody or not. But I see now you were doing so sarcastically."

Oh yeah xD Sorry about tha..."

OH MY GOD I LOVE DAMIEN!!!!!! I WANT THAT PROFILE PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S SOOOOOOOOO HOT

message 22: by Mahejabeen (new)

Mahejabeen Hossain Thank you so much for saving me from buying this parody! I can't stand the thought of Peeta being made fat? (I mean, oh God, why?!) Peeta may have been a baker's son, but that in no way suggests he should be fat. Regardless of the fact that the name Gale may be unisex, "Carol" makes no sense!

message 23: by Corrynn (new)

Corrynn Osborne funny

message 24: by Corrynn (new)

Corrynn Osborne i LOVE the hunger games and went completely nuts when i didn't gee second book fort th chrismas i like i a, not kidding i went nuts and i didn't do my homework or talk until i got it

message 25: by Julia (new) - rated it 1 star

Julia I feel the same way you did about this book! I don't know if I'll pick up another Harvard Lampoon book after choking down this one. Nightlight was funny for a bit, but this one certainly wasn't worth the $15 I spent on it!!

Taschima Cullen Julia wrote: "I feel the same way you did about this book! I don't know if I'll pick up another Harvard Lampoon book after choking down this one. Nightlight was funny for a bit, but this one certainly wasn't wor..."

Holy cow, you spent $15!? My condolences :/

message 27: by Julia (new) - rated it 1 star

Julia I fortunately barely even curled the covers, so I wrapped it in a lunch bag, stuck it under a heavy trunk for 24 hours, then returned it. Got a venti mocha cookie crumble frappucino from Starbucks, a giant bouncy ball for my daughter, & snacks for the family. Oh & I still have $3 left. Best decision this week!

message 28: by Simone (new)

Simone I agree the Twilight one was funny ... What a shame they didn't do this one well.

message 29: by Justeena (new)

Justeena Good for you that you could finish this!!! I can not and further more I do not even want to try!! Your review was dead on!!!

message 30: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon I completely agree. I also forced myself to read the whole thing and thought it was awful.

Taschima Cullen Shannon wrote: "I completely agree. I also forced myself to read the whole thing and thought it was awful.

As for Gale being called Carol, Gail is a common girls name...... kinda weird you didn't know that."

Well, I am Puerto Rican and my first language is Spanish so maybe not that weird >.<