Lisa Kay's Reviews > Dream Lake

Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas

Dream Lake, Washington

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Dream Lake is narrated by Jeff Cummings who does NOT seem to be the right fit for this one. Not a great job, but not a disaster, either. An “okay” performance. I’d probably like him better reading something else, as he has a nice voice. Here he falls a little short due to making Zoe sound a bit too “wispy” – a common trait among male narrators trying to do female voices; though, he does a fair job on Zoe’s grandmother, “Upsie.” While I liked his Alex, I didn’t care for his Sam, who is the hero of book #2 in the Friday Harbor series. I also felt that later in the book he began to make Alex sound like Sam at times. He also didn’t differentiate the voice of the Ghost enough for me.

As far as storyline, I just loved this one! The talented Ms. Kleypas does an excellent job of making me like Alex Nolan – who is not only an alcoholic, but the child of two hard-core alcoholics, and therefore a bit of an a$$hat – which is a pretty hefty feat. He is visited by a ghost, who only he can see; their interactions made me smile more than once and out right laugh several times. For those readers who did NOT like the magical realism in Rainshadow Road, this ghostly manifestation blends in quite effortlessly with the main plot.

Zoe was easy to like, as I enjoy gentle, kind-hearted heroines, not to mention all the yummy things she cooks. Here Ms. Kleypas shines, you see her brilliance as she carefully picks just the right descriptive, sensuous word to convey something that is a very visceral experience. While Alex’s sobriety was relatively pain free compared to Real Life, it was believable that tender Zoe could pierce his “bulletproof reserve.” I also liked that this story runs parallel in time to parts of Sam and Lucy’s story; we get to see Sam falling in love from another perspective.

The only thing I had to laugh at was that Zoe decides to remodel her grandmother’s lake cabin, which is what brings Alex back into the picture after their first disastrous meeting. I happen to be remodeling my house right now and Zoe’s demolition and modernization goes a lot smoother than what I’m experiencing – or ever heard tell. Where is delicious Alex Nolan when I need him?

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4) by Lisa Kleypas

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Lake.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“A woman could do that to you - reach that place in your soul where the best and worst of you was kept. And once she was there, she owned that place and never left.”
Lisa Kleypas, Dream Lake

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vicki Great review, Lisa Kay...I just finished this one yesterday and enjoyed it as well. I loved the ghost storyline much more than I did the magic in Rainshadow Road.

Vicki By the way, is your kitchen done yet?

Lisa Kay Thanks, Vicki! Nope. No where near done. I'm having a lot of remodel issues. Tons of leaks!

Kelly22 Wonderfully done Lisa, I loved your review AND the beautiful picture! :)

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kelly & Baba!! Yes, just loved this one.

Lisa Kay LOL! Really, Vicki! Ha, ha!

Jill Really great review, Lisa Kay! I know you're loving this series, I'm not quite as keen. I'm patiently waiting for Joe's story.

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Great review, Lisa Kay! I finished it last night and it is my favourite of the series so far. I agree LK did a superb job with Alec and I know we both enjoyed the interactions between Alec and the Ghost. Some had me laughing out loud. Oh, my goodness! LK had such a way of describing those wonderful delicacies Zoe produced that it literally made my mouth water!

Lisa Kay Yes, Jill, I'm really anticipating Joe's story, too! I am so torn b/c I want the story NOW, but I don't want to rush her and have it not live up to that series.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Carol! Yes, I saw what you said about this one in the W♥LK group. I totally agree.

Pamela Thanks for the great review! You answered the question I was looking for: I was wondering why Sam is single at the beginning of Dream Lake!!! Good to know the stories parallel each other... I was beginning to wonder what was going on!!!

Thanks again!

Lisa Kay Glad that was cleared up, Pamela. Thanks for liking my review, too.

Jennifer I am listening to this book right now and have to agree with you on Jeff Cummings as the reader. If I wasn't so interested in the story after listening to the first two, I probably would turn it back in to the library and get the print version, I find him that annoying. I just don't have time to read a book right now.

Lisa Kay Yes, I've read the print version, Jennifer, and enjoyed it more. JC's not a bad narrator; I just don't think he is the right fit.