Amy's Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: calgon-take-me-away, fave-fantasy-scifi

This is a multi-series combined review and is copied/pasted across all of Hobb's related series. It does not refer only to this trilogy, and includes Liveship, Rain Wilds, Farseer, Tawny Man, and Dragon Keeper series.

These are the most compelling, most enjoyable, best-plotted, most complicated epic fantasy books I've read in ages. I adored them. There are 5 (?) interwoven, inter-dependent series that the author clearly outlined before picking up her pen for the first time. The characters are wonderfully deep and rich, and manage to be sympathetic without being perfect or saccharine. The dialogue is beautifully done, the setting is OUSTANDING, and oh my god there are dragons and they're *also* deeply rich without being idealized or saccharine. Thrilling.

One of my favorite things about Hobb is that she ensures her worlds have real consequences: She doesn't shy away from letting the characters pay for their own stupidity, which I love. There's no get-out-of-jail-free card. If the character should by all rights break their leg from a jump (e.g.), the damn leg gets broken.

There are strong female characters, some nicely-handled romance, heros and villains, epic characters and everyday life. I just can't say enough great things about these books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.