David P Forsyth's Reviews > The Zona

The Zona by Nathan Yocum

7201946
May 01, 12

Read from March 24 to May 01, 2012

Spaghetti Western meets the Biblical Apocalypse. The Zona presents a stark, chilling and engrossing look at how modern American society could devolve into warped theocracy, if the planet turned against our civilization. Nathan Yocum weaves a unique blend of Old West adventure and apocalyptic judgement in this intriguing look at Arizona after the end of the world as we know it. This is a very good start for a talented new author and I eagerly look forward to the sequel.

I especially enjoyed the interactions with the author during the April group read on the GR Apocalypse Whenever group. His answers to questions about the plot, symbolism, and intent of his writing were revealing, not to mention the debate about religion and politics that this story raised. I would hope that readers don't jump to conclusions about the author's perspective on religion. Although some might consider this book to be controversial, I don't think it is any more anti-religious than 1984 or Brave New World are anti-civilization. Books like those (and The Zona) simply present a warning of how bad any form of government can become when taken to extremes. Of course Mr. Yocum also offers a hero who sees through the charade and promises more revelations in the sequel. Well done! I rate The Zona 4.5 (rounded up to 5 stars).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zona.

03/24/2012
60.0% "Good story. Looking forward to the discussion in the Apocalypse Whenever group."
04/01/2012
100.0% "Great book. I'll discuss and think before posting a review or rating."
04/18/2012
50.0% "Half way and loving both the concept and execution. Very original and truly engrossing."
04/18/2012
100.0% "Will write review after book discussion on Apocalypse Whenever group is done."