Linda Lipko's Reviews > Montana 1948

Montana 1948 by Larry Watson

Mar 02, 12

Read in June, 2010

Rarely can I say that a book leaves me speechless or searching to describe how much of an impact it registers. Montana 1948 is such a tale.

Not since reading To Kill a Mockingbird, has the written word resonated on this level.

Published in 1960, Harper Lee's incredible one-hit wonder marks its 50 year anniversary this summer. Recently Lee remarked to her 80 year old Monroeville, Alabama minister that there was no need to write another and stated that she wrote "a simple tale about the conflict of the human soul."

While reading Montana 1948 I was reminded of To Kill a Mockingbird. The similarities are striking in many ways. There are strong characters. There is a child seeking sense of adult behaviors in difficult moral and ethical situations. There are black and white events with graduated bands of gray in their complexity.

There are flawed, bigoted individuals who tenaciously hold fast to their belief of superiority. There is an overwhelming theme that choosing the "right" thing to do can have far reaching consequences that usually do not net the end result of fairness and goodness to the individual who sacrifices.

Montana 1948 is indeed a story of the conflict and complexity of the human soul.

Run, don't walk to the bookstore to obtain this book! Then, spend a few hours savoring each and every word and all the incredible nuances.

I believe that when you finish, you will want to tell your friends, your co-workers, your family about this book. I also believe you may struggle to explain the depth of feeling, and it may be difficult to find words to describe the sheer power of its beauty.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Montana 1948.

message 1: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. I'm convinced. Great review.

Linda Lipko Thanks Brittany. This is a book that Richard highly recommended! He hasn't steered me wrong yet.