Gianne's Reviews > Wintersmith

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from February 23 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

This is perhaps the fourth Pratchett book I've picked up. Yet another delightful read! The charm he injects in the storyline and his characters are irresistible and I have no qualms in revisiting it immediately. Maybe for the chuckles it gives me whenever I read about them Feegles (who are strong, tough and hardy; at the same time, is also caring, quite clueless and fearful of a lady displeased at them... oh waily, waily, waily!). A little bone to pick with this though, is that it felt a little draggy at some point, hence a lesser star.

The story is about how a 13 year old witch caught the attention of the spirit who brings in winter and the consequences. While it was a little flattering and 'cool' initially, she has to put a stop to it and to escape his attention. Toss in a total lack of experience in handling romantic interests, her guardian Feegle 'angels' (small rough blue-skinned, red-haired people in kilts, who smells) and various other characters, and you will get an amusing journey under the pen of Pratchett.

I have not read the previous two books, and now inwardly kicking myself for not snagging 'The Wee Free Men' during a book sale. However, it still stands on its own. It's an easy read and good for winding down your day. In spite of that though, beneath the humour, Pratchett slips in insights, such as the theory of Boffo.

.... What is Boffo? Get the book and find out :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintersmith.