April's Reviews > Prep

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Jan 26, 09

bookshelves: too-horrible-to-read-again
Recommended for: People looking for an excuse to punch their fellow prep-schoolers in the face
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

Thank you, Curtis Sittenfeld, for helping me realize that I wasn't nearly as neurotic growing up as I thought I was. Perhaps growing up as a girl with a guy's name has made Curtis into a self-loathing, self-righteous, boring maniac...or maybe this was just a totally horrendous bullsh*t piece of fiction that had nothing to do with her childhood. Either way, I had to force myself to finish this book. It was about 300 pages too long because the other 116 or so pages were the only ones that made me want to do something other than go on a drinking binge. I'm not dissin' Miss Sittenfeld's view of boarding school; I freely admit I grew up as LMC as the next guy, and had no burning desire to put my parents in debt so I could spend four years of my life pretending to be rich. However, if I had run into Lee Fiora at any time during my high school years, I would have happily punched her in the face and told her to get some self-respect. Not that I was a bully, I was just so cheesed off by Lee that I found myself wanting to run this book over with my car. Repeatedly. I found the "reporter incident" to be unbelievably infuriating because it proved that every action of Lee's up to this point was fake. Get over yourself. I know high school was confusing, and scary, and lonely sometimes. And I know that sometimes girls (and even women) confuse sex with love. But, if you don't learn from your mistakes or your misguided concepts or realize that the world doesn't revolve around you, then you're never going to be happy, or have friends. I could go on about all the things I loathe about this book, but I'll stop here and let you read it for yourself. I have a copy if you want, and it only has slight tire damage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.