Alex Tierney's Reviews > Tuck Everlasting

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: eced-221

Tuck Everlasting is about a little girl name Winnie Forster who encounters a family, The Tucks, who can live forever. When she ventures into the woods one day, she sees a boy, Jesse Tuck, drinking from a spring of water. He tells her that she cannot drink that water. The Tuck family take Winnie for a couple of days to explain to her why she cannot drink the water and how it makes things live forever. Meanwhile, Winnie's family has traded their land to a man in return for him finding Winnie. When he arrives at the Tuck house to get her, Mrs. Tuck hits him with a shotgun which eventually kills him. Mrs. Tuck is sent to jail, but the Tuck family and Winnie devise a plan to get her out. Once she is out of jail, the Tuck's run away and don't come back for many years. When they do return, they find that Winnie never drank any of the spring water and she had passed away.
The book is well written because it has elements such as a setting, plot, characterization, theme and point of view. The setting is described very well in the beginning and the end when the town has been demolished and redone. The plot is well organized and not confusing. The reader is able to follow along without having to ask too many questions. The characters are also described well and each character has their own personality. The theme is compelling to readers in the "real world" as well as the fantasy world. I think that the theme of never taking life for granted can be seen in the fantasy world and the real world. The elements that make up the story make the fantasy convincing. The way the author described how much the Tuck family wished that they had never drank the water makes the story not too far fetched. If the author described the soring that makes you live forever in another way that was more unrealistic, then the story would not be believable. The author does maintain a sense of logic. In the book, Mrs. Tuck killed somebody and therefore went to jail for it. This is like a real life situation. In the created world, there is order and there are rules.
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I remember reading it as a child, but now I thinkI I have a better understanding for it because I am older. I think that the plot of the story is very intriguing and it is something that people with could happen. The thought of there being a spring of water that makes you live forever is a fantasy that many people probably wish they had. If i was a cahracter in the book, I don't know whether or not I would drink the water. I would use this is the classroom by asking the children who would and who wouldn't drink the water. Then maybe have an activity where time is sped up and show those kids who chose not to drink the water getting older, and those kids who chose to drink the water staying the same age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuck Everlasting.