Mo Tipton's Reviews > Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose

Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: biz-money-econ
Read in March, 2012

It's hard not to walk away from this book thinking that Tony Hsieh is a really great guy and that he obviously knows how to create a really kick ass company. That said, I found myself skimming through it like mad, particularly the beginning in which Hsieh talks about his earliest experiences as an entrepreneur all the way to the conception of Zappos.

Hsieh freely admits that he didn't use a ghostwriter and that his grammar might, at times, make his high school English teachers cringe, and that may have contributed to my lack of engagement in that the book seemed like it was all over the place, spending too much time on personal stories (in my opinion), throwing in third-person accounts here and there and then glossing over points that I would have loved to read about in greater detail.

By far, the part that I found most interesting was the brief section called "End Game," totaling maybe fifteen pages. Hsieh outlines some of his research on happiness and how that relates to business, and it was there that I found more actionable advice than in the rest of the book in its entirety.

Again, I hate to bash this book when all I want to do is sit down and have coffee with Hsieh after discovering how imminently likable he is, but a book on a similar topic that I enjoyed much more (and took away a TON of valuable techniques from) is The Method Method.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delivering Happiness.