Keri's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Jan 20, 16

bookshelves: reviewed, romance-historical, unicorn-virgin-w-m-historical, 2010s-read
Read from December 07 to 08, 2012

10+ Stars for me!!! This was such an emotionally charged book, I cried, I laughed...I did the shuddering sigh thing when you read the ending of a great book!!! Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, has wanted only one thing from life and that was the true love of a family. But his horrible human of a father has pretty much ensured that was never going to happen. Minerva, as seemily shy wallflower of a woman. Minerva is contemplating accepting the hand of the only man that may ever ask for her hand. With her issues and scarred face a woman of her times can't be too choosey. But when a chance meeting brings Robert and Minerva, both are shocked at the feelings that each provokes in the other.

They both try and hide their secrets from another, knowing that once revealed could devestate the other. This is were CM shines as she take two flawed individuals and makes them irrisistable not to love. CM is a master!! I loved both Robert and Minerva and both of their issues brough tears to my eyes, as they both really just wanted to find someone that would love them for themselves and accepts all their flaws. There was also laughter, especially the train scene as Robert try and contain the antics of his friends. CM is a master at tugging on our heart strings, but with her drawings I wouldn't trust her to get me to Kansas City. However, when it comes to writing a quality feel good story, she has my back! :-) I am on pins and needles for the next Sinister Brother book.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

Quotes Keri Liked

Courtney Milan
“Men wouldn't ask any such thing. They'd already know what caught my eye. He whispered in a conspiratorial fashion. "It's your tits." "They're magnificent." He wasn't even looking at them, but Minnie's hand itched to cover herself - not to block out his sight, but to explore her own curves. To see if, perhaps, her bosom was magnificent, if it had been magnificent all these years, and she had simply never noticed.”
Courtney Milan, The Duchess War

12/08
37.0% "This has been so completely freakin awesome!!!!" 1 comment
02/25 marked as: read

Jill Happy reading, Keri!

Jill So glad you loved it, Keri1 It was well worth the wait!

KatLynne Looking forward to your review Keri! So glad you loved it!!

D.G. Wow, this came out? I checked just a couple of days dago and it wasn't available!

Jill This was an amazing read for me as well, Keri. I'm not much of a crier, esp when reading books, but I was really touched when reading the scenes with the alphabet book. (view spoiler).

Great review and like you can't wait for the next in this series!

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Great review Keri! I keep meaning to try out Courtney Milan... maybe this is a great place to start?

Keri DG go for it! :-)

Jill, that scene absolutely did it for me as well...there were more than a few tear worthy scenes in this book.

Melanie, actually I would start with the prequal The Governess Affair and then read this one. But trust me, if you start with this one you won't be lost, but you will be touched...you can't help but fall for Robert.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This was such an emotionally charged book, I cried, I laughed...I did the shuddering sigh thing when you read the ending of a great book!!!

Amen! Great review!

Keri Thank you Dhes. :-) After I meet my reading goal here in the next week, I am going to do a reread I think.

KatLynne Great review Keri and I loved the train scene too. Had me in stitches:)

message 11: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Ty Katlynn. It was a great read. Can't wait for the next one.