Deborah Andreasen's Reviews > The Way We Fall

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

Mar 02, 12

Read in January, 2012

Holy cow. Holy. Cow.

This book was completely different than other dystopian, apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, society is ravished by a disease novels.

The Way We Fall is written as a journal of letters Kaelyn writes to her estranged best friend, Leo. The letters start off as whimsical memories and long-harbored guilt. Slowly they turn to the curious events of a strange illness that is spreading throughout their secluded island off the coast of Canada.

Then the letters turn horrific as the disease turns pandemic, and there doesn't seem to be enough room for the bodies that keep piling up.

I love books that are written as letters. I think letters are so personal and share so much about a person without the writer realizing it. About the point where Kaelyn realizes Leo might never actually see these letters is when she starts pouring out more of her self, and I loved the way that made the book feel.

Kaelyn developed well from the shy girl who no one really likes to the one with the strength to take care of her family - what's left of it - and help save her community and home.

The disease starts with an itch you can't get rid of. And then there's a cough that won't go away. The day after I finished this book, I had an itch on my scalp. I literally was on the verge of tears and panic, thinking I was going to get sick and die and who would take care of my kids? My kids! Would I infect my kids? Should I call my husband to come take the kids and move to Siberia...? It took me a moment to realize that The Way We Fall was a book I read, and not a newscast I'd watched. That's the mark of a good book in my opinion.

There were a few things that were a bit confusing at first. I was eventually able to figure them out, but it made it a little difficult to trudge through at first. I honestly stuck with it because, like I said, I love books written as letters or journals. I wanted to see how it played out, and I am SO glad I did!!

There is mild swearing throughout the book, but about five uses of heavy profanity.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Fall.