Blodeuedd Finland's Reviews > The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men

Mar 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: jane-austen-variation
Read on March 02, 2012

Now this one was a bit different from the JA books I usually read, and that is always something I approve of. I do like change.

This book is all about Colonel Fitzwilliam and the lady he loves (yes yes we can all figure it is Anne), Colonel Brandon and Marianne, and Colonel Buford who falls for Caroline. Really Caroline?! That was my first thought, but if Darcy can change then so can Caroline and she does change. She actually becomes a really sweet person and I liked her. Which I never thought would happen.

I felt that the book was mostly about Buford and Caroline, then came Fitz and Anne and last the Brandons. But then these two were settled and happy so no drama there. While there sure was drama around Anne and Richard. And of course the romance of Buford and Caroline. What was also fun was that everyone knew each other. Lizzy was friend with the Marianne and Elinor. There is a mention of Tilney and the Elliott family and I do love that. Like they all were there and could have met.

As for the story there was romance, drama and then last, Waterloo. I liked to see all the characters I love and to see new people find happiness and to hear what happened to others. One thing though, something happened that I did not like one bit, I am still a bit upset, sadly I can't say what. Then again another thing also happened which made me really glad so I guess those two things take themselves out. And there was also a love scene that felt a bit awkward. But I have never been one for details. All in all a fun Jane Austen variation. Though even if not a colonel, I still missed Wenthworth, he is a fighting man after all.

Conclusion:
If you want more than just Lizzy and Darcy then this might be JA variation for you. Jane Austen's fighting men sure needs love too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Colonels.