Hmr28's Reviews > On Demon Wings

F_50x66
Sep 10, 12

MAY!!! I can't wait!....
Unfortunately...I have to.

I am not sure why authors' don't take advantage of every single avenue of publication open to them. I know that if I come across a recommendation from goodreads or a friend I check the book out right away, if it is available and is interesting to me, I buy it. If it is not available for me to buy on the Nook, I don't and then...I forget about it. Essentially the author has lost the chance at a sale, because I am not going to remember that I wanted a particular book 1 week from now much less 3 months from now when the author finally gets around to putting it up on other vendors sites. I don't read or buy Amazon books and I never will because I don't agree with Amazon's business practices (and I own a Nook and 1 e-reader is enough for anyone!) Anyway this was a rather long rant to simply say, this book looks good...too bad I won't be able to read it. I think I'll be posting this note on every book that I look up here that looks interesting to me but is not actually available for me to purchase!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Demon Wings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina Halle Can't help but notice your long comment here. This book IS technically available for Nook and it's been available in e-pub format (as well as all other formats) from Smashwords since the day it was published, May 13th.

It's actually Barnes & Noble that hasn't gotten their ass in gear and accepted this book into their Nook store. Nothing to do with me. I suggest emailing B&N as others have done and tell THEM to add it.

Hmr28 Thank you for the info. I don't check with other vendors as a matter of course since I pretty much like to point and click, but I will email BN as you mentioned. I did click on the "tell the publisher" thing they have, you'd think they'd keep track of that as well!
Thanks again,
Helen

Heidi R. Hmr28 wrote: "Thank you for the info. I don't check with other vendors as a matter of course since I pretty much like to point and click, but I will email BN as you mentioned. I did click on the "tell the publis..."

I always check Smashwords if B&N doesn't have the book I'm interested in, as I also have a Nook. On the occassions it isn't available at either B&N or Smashwords, then I'll contact the author. Usually they will make it available in epub format on Smashwords if B&N is lagging in making it available. I've only had one author (and Karina is NOT that author) who basically told me her books were only available on Amazon. Kinda ticked me off, but, I think eventually they'll show up in epub. Karina is awesome about making sure her books are available to all of us :^)

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry i dunno. That cut and paste comment sounds slightly trollish and threatening to authors in general if your pasting it everywhere you see fit. what does Barns and Noble have to do with Amazon anyway? If the book is available elsewhere like Kobo where I got mine, it's hardly the authors or Amazons fault. It's Barns and Noble's.

message 5: by Hmr28 (last edited Jun 08, 2012 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmr28 Hi Kerry,
I am certainly not trying to be threatening. I bought a Nook to read on for its simplicity. I am not particularly computer literate and I find sideloading to be a pain, although upon occasion I have successfully done it (more often unsuccessfully!) , so I don't buy from other sites. I came across a great blog post a couple of weeks ago that pretty much says what I believe. I'll stick it in here in case you are interested (from the dear author site)-

From a personal standpoint I think it is up to the author to make their book available on as many vendor sites as possible because if they are not able to do so it hurts their business ultimately. I can't buy it if I can't find it on the site I use. In this case Karina indicated she posted it at Smashwords which will hopefully eventually make a copy available on BN. Because I LOVE her books. Really LOVE them.
Personally If I were an author I would upload my book to each site rather than leaving it up to Smashwords because as a reader I have purchased books that are loaded by smashwords onto BN and there are always atrocious formatting errors and text problems. But in this case I will certainly buy it as soon as it appears at BN because I love her book so much.

message 6: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina Halle I have to defend myself here. As an author, I can't personally upload books to each site. Kobo ONLY this week launched their Writing Life program which would allow me to do so, but Kobo was fairly quick about getting On Demon Wings up when I did it through Smashwords, and all my previous novels. Smashwords also makes converting painless and pays authors a fairly high royalty rate.

As for Barnes & Noble - their PubIt program is only open to US residents. I am a Canadian. Therefore I have to rely on Smashwords if I want to sell it on Nook. That's a shame for Barnes & Noble to cut out every single non-American author like that but that's the way they operate.

Adding to that, Barnes & Noble has been able to take the Smashwords file and publish it in in their stores for the last few weeks. They haven't yet.

Therefore this is not about me not being able to get my books to the widest reach possible or not taking opportunities when others deem I should - sometimes, as a self-published author who is doing every single thing on her own, there are things that you can't control. This is one of them.

And now that you know that, frankly I am inclined to agree with Kerry. I do find that comment to be kind of unfair to me and perhaps other authors who could be in the same situation.

message 7: by Heidi R. (last edited Jun 08, 2012 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi R. Hmr28 wrote: "Hi Kerry,

Hi Hmr28,
Okay, I'm sorry if I'm sticking my nose in here, but it sounds to me that your real problem is not being comfortable sideloading on the Nook. There are always going to be books that aren't available on B&N that you might seriously want to get. Rather than deciding not to purchase the book, wouldn't it just be better to utilize this function? Sideloading using a free software program called Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) makes it really simple. I would be very happy to guide you through it, step by step, if you are interested...

Donna Can't you list it in your to read books on good reads and since you obviously use good reads you can check that list frequently and see what's available. That's what I do. I am a huge fan of Karina's as well and I put on demon wings on that list as well as follow her on good reads so I know the latest as far as her writing is concerned. I also use calibre and it's so easy to use. However, I'm an amazon kindle fire girl not sure how it works on the nook.

Heidi R. Donna wrote: "Can't you list it in your to read books on good reads and since you obviously use good reads you can check that list frequently and see what's available. That's what I do. I am a huge fan of Karin..."

Donna, Calibre works great with the Nook. :)