Sherron's Reviews > Gamble With Hearts

Gamble With Hearts by Hilary Gilman

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: to-read, kindle-freebie, maybe

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gamble With Hearts.

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I have a hard enough time with Regencies from the big publishing houses. Regencies from freebies scare me to death :p

message 2: by Sherron (new) - added it

Sherron LOL

message 3: by Catie (new) - added it

Catie But this one was first published by Robert Hale in 1980 so it may be ok...

message 4: by Sherron (new) - added it

Sherron The 1980 date is what made me decide to get it.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Thanks Catie. That would get my interest more. Those older romances are worth a shot.

message 6: by Catie (new) - added it

Catie It was the heyday. I've picked it up. Thanks to you ladies for bringing it to my attention!

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit What are friends for, but to corrupt fellow addicts :D

I do like seeing these older books get new life. Check out this one, it's still free on our side of the pond. Tycoon by Netta Martin

You never know with these. They could be OOP for a reason, or you've got a buried treasure.

message 8: by Catie (new) - added it

Catie Cool. It was free in the UK so I got that one too.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Catie wrote: "Cool. It was free in the UK so I got that one too.
At the very least an older book will be a professionally edited disappointment..."

Hehe, although if it's Pocket Books I wouldn't hold my breath over typos. I've seen them with a few lulus. Like getting both of the MC's name wrong in the same chapter. Grrrrr.

message 10: by Catie (new) - added it

Catie I know what you mean (some old Zebra Regencies come to mind) but I accidentally bought (yes for real money) a book that was based on podcasts and improv and as far as I caould see published without any intervening edits. Heinous. It's made me very cautious around new books.

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Personally, I feel that a person who doesn't know the difference between things like there and their have no business trying to publish. Some of the stuff I've seen is just brutal.

message 12: by Catie (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:41PM) (new) - added it

Catie Too true. But some authors are dyslexic or close and all they need is a decent editor to sort them out.
And then there are facts. Many older books have errors of fact on niggly details (like inheritance law) which I mostly forgive because they were published before the internet made this stuff easy. Too many newer novels seem to treat those details that make the world they are building true for readers as a luxury optional extra.
Humph I'm getting grumpy now and better go read something good.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Hah! I agree with the fact stretching, especially when everything is so easy to look up these days.

Happy reading, that's where I'm goig as soon as dinner is done.