J.'s Reviews > Crash

Crash by Lisa McMann

Dec 19, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read on December 11, 2012

This book is by far one of my favorite recently read titles. I always feel secure that Lisa McMann's writing will be awesome, but this book outdid anything of hers I have read so far. I love her fresh, interesting take on visions and the art of clairvoyance. The way Jules sees the event playing over and over again like a movie while still being engaged in the every day activities of life serves to make it a little more unnerving to both Jules and to the reader. What we normally see is someone checking out for a few minutes here or there while seeing whatever event could possibly transpire, but here it's mixed together with everything else.

I also LOVED the characterization in this book as well as the relationships between all of the characters. I feel that Jules is completely developed and grows tremendously throughout the novel. I love the fluidity of her voice. Her relationship with her family as well as Sawyer's family is deftly pictured in a way that made me really feel with and for all of the characters. The tension in her family over her brother's sexuality is never brought to the forefront but is very skilfully crafted into the picture. The way her father's depression affects all members of the family feels real, as well. The enmity between the two families is realistic for a modern day setting yet as bitter as any Montague/Capulet rivalry.

Sawyer just might become one of my favorite YA guys depending on how his character progresses throughout the series. He's kind, polite, sensitive but oh so conflicted. And there are secrets! Ahh! Deep dark secrets! His response to Jules's revelation is completely believable (and frustrating) yet sweet at the same time.

This book has it all - the tension, romance, characters to love across the board, writing that just flows and suspense that had me finishing this in a day and a half, which is a new record for me with my seven month old boy trying to destroy what he can reach of my house. And the ending! I have so many questions about what will happen in the next book. I'm still having withdrawal shakes from finishing this over a week ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.