Melissa 's Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, teen-action-adventure, teen-fantasy, with-reviews
Read in February, 2012, read count: 1

At his choosing ceremony Will knows he wants to be a warrior, but slight of build and short for his age, he knows his chances of becoming a knight are slim at best. He just hopes he won’t be assigned to work the farms. When he gets assigned to be the Ranger’s apprentice, Will isn’t sure what his future will hold.

My husband had been trying for years to get me to read this book. He loved the series and eagerly awaited each new installment. While I never failed to get them for him, I never picked them up myself. I am sorry I waited so long.

This was a fantastic novel full of action and charming characters. I loved just about everyone I met in this novel—at least all of the main characters. They were so well developed and fun, that you couldn’t help but be invested in their stories.

I listened to this novel on audio. It was produced by recorded books and read by John Keating. It consisted of 7 CDs and ran for about 7.75 hrs. The narration at first seems a little slow, but as I adapted to it overtime I really began to enjoy it. Keating’s narration and the audio production is clear and free of flaws, which makes for an enjoyable listening experience.

Overall, this was a fine start to a series, and I am sorry I waited so long before I listened to it. This would be a great pick for middle school boys—lots of action and terrific characters. I look forward to reading others in this series.

Cautions for sensitive readers: some violence
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1).

message 1: by Ceitidh (new)

Ceitidh Hi!
I have a question,is this a middle-grade? at the bookstore I have seen it in that section only, but I am confuse since the character is fifteen years old. Could you tell me what do you think this book is? pleaseeeeee!

Melissa The book is certainly safe enough to put with Middle Grade. I have it in my teen section because of the age of the character and the fact that kids tend to read up rather than down. Off the top of my head the closest comparison as far as age range would be Harry Potter. It is a clean read, so it can definitely be handed to younger readers who don't mind some violence in their books. On Monday at a conference, author Lauren Myracle explained this type of phenomenon. The age of the character is 15, so you can give the character the freedom they need, but you write it from the perspective of a 12 year old. She said it much better though. :). I hope that helps and makes some sense--I know I wrote a book for an answer.

message 3: by Ceitidh (new)

Ceitidh your book for an answer was most helpful! thank you so much! it makes perfect sense =DDDDDDDDDD
Im sure gonna add it to my bookshelf! =D

Melissa Your welcome. It is a good book. My husband loves the whole series, so it is a big hit with the guys.

message 5: by Ceitidh (new)

Ceitidh Gonna check it soon! thank you sweetheart <333333 ^_^