Julie L's Reviews > The Overton Window

The Overton Window by Glenn Beck

Mar 12, 12

Read from March 02 to 04, 2012

I saw this book in the book store, read the inside cover which intrigued me, and then put it back when I realized who wrote it. A couple of months later, I picked it up again and decided to have an open mind and read it anyway. I am glad I did, because I like novels that entertain and educate me. This book was an o.k. read, but, more important, I learned something new.

The premise of the book is based on a theory called the Overton window, which is a spectrum comprising the public’s reaction to issues within the political discourse. A politician, political group, or the conspiratorial “they” can propose a radical idea that is immediately rejected by the public and then introduce a far less controversial idea that is accepted, which moves the Overton window closer to their ideal.

The book is a quick read at only 292 pages. I liked the book, but thought it was a little all over the place. There was not a character I could really root for (or against) or identify with, because I was not sure where the characters or the book was going. The book had the potential to be better. I just thought there should have been...more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overton Window.