Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Hostile Takeover

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-taylor, publishersent
Read in March, 2012

This review posted at Guilty Pleasures

RECOMMENDED READ

Joey W. Hill, and her Knights of the Board Room series in particular, has been in my Mount TBR pile forever, so I jumped at the chance to review this book. I’ve heard great things about Ms. Hill’s writing, and Hostile Takeover does not disappoint. No, my kinky friends, not at all. In fact, so far this is one of my favorite books of 2012. But a warning to the faint at heart…. Ben is a sadist, and this book contains some very intense and graphic scenes. Okay, so why did I like this book so much then?

I cracked up at parts of Marcie’s plan to win Ben’s heart, but had to crank up the A/C during other parts. And Ben shows his softer side throughout the book. He might be hardcore, but he’s also charming, caring, and loyal. He’s also a great cook and a good dancer. Oh, and there’s this…

“She’d heard the rumors about his size, but if that was a partial erection, there were monsters in Japan who would run screaming.”

So, what’s not to like?

I love, love, love the snippets of letters and conversations between Marcie and Ben that begin each chapter, showing their relationship during the years Marcie was in college. Ben is Marcie’s confidante, advisor, and guardian. Some of the letters were just LOL funny, and others were so sweet I almost cried. This is one of my favorites:

“You told me any guy worth my time would always come to me with flowers and a handkerchief. One to make me smile, and the other to dry my tears, because a smart guy knows women need to cry as much as they need to laugh.”

But Ben still sees Marcie as a girl, someone to protect… especially from his darker side. Ms. Hill does a fantabulous job of showing Ben’s reluctance to accept Marcie as a sexually mature woman, and of showing Marcie’s absolute certainty and determination that she and Ben are meant to be together. And their journey is one wild ride! If you don’t have any qualms about the BDSM aspects of the book, this is a highly recommended read.

The only bad news? Poor DiDi will lose a reviewer for a couple of weeks while I go back to read the rest of the series. Yes, it’s that good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hostile Takeover.

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ Great review DiDi!! This series has been in my TBR pile forever too, looks like I'll have to make more of an effort to move it up the list.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews Thank you Denise =)

message 3: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Aug 10, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Titallating review, GP! ;o) Can this book stand alone? How hardcore is the BDSM? I sometimes have a hard time wrapping my mind around this lifestyle. Master/slave 24/7 does not work for me.

***edited to add***