April 's Reviews > Party Wolves in my Skull

Party Wolves in my Skull by Michael Allen Rose

Mar 21, 12

Read from March 13 to 20, 2012

(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian.)

I am not really the world's biggest fan of the short novel because if I like something, I tend to want it to go on and on forever. However, I think there are situations where short makes sense. In this case, Rose's first published work is probably right around the size it needed to be since a lot of it reminded me of a Tex Avery cartoon.

I was sold on the sequence of events and throughily pleased to spend time with Rose's characters as they embark on a very strange roadtrip. Norman and Zoe were fun. Aspects of the walrus ex-boyfriend were a bit on the nasty side, Zoe's secret seemed a bit obvious, and I would not want to visit the Motel Sick, but it all served the story well. And most of that was vastly overshadowed by how much I enjoyed the party wolves.

I'm also impressed that the characters and their actions were typically backed up by motivations that made their own brand of sense. Norman's eyeballs fall in love. Clearly they need to run away from their human oppressor. Norman has empty eye sockets. Clearly party wolves move in. And so on and so forth. Each time, I found myself nodding my head sagely. Yes, I thought to myself, of course. Eyeballs would totally get married if they could, and everyone knows party wolves live in your skull. Later on, I wondered just why this all made sense to me, but that's true of just about anything I read. I doubt I was supposed to walk away from the book wishing I too had some party wolves of my very own? But I did.

What didn't work so well for me were the parts of chapters that moved rapidly from one character to another with very little transition. Norman's inability to see also resulted in a lot of paragraphs where I couldn't quite figure out if Norman was accidentally seeing when his eyes were gone and no one had caught it during editing, if he could see through the party wolves all the time or only some of it, if he could only see through his runaway eyeballs, or if he was slowly turning into Daredevil. I know how odd it must seem to demand consistency when I'm totally okay with eyeballs in love, women dating creepy walruses, and party wolves moving furniture into someone's head... but I'm weird like that.

In conclusion, a whacky fun time. Party Wolves in my Skull might not appeal to all readers, but it certainly provided me with several hearty laughs and a unique story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Party Wolves in my Skull.