E.A.'s Reviews > Time Snatchers

Time Snatchers by Richard Ungar

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

I won an ARC from Goodreads and I am so glad I did. I wasn't sure what to expect but the blurb talks about time traveling thieves. That has a lot of leeway. I was expecting cool technology, which includes fingernail clocks, ocular implants for night vision, and of course time machines. I am a sucker for cool technology.

Though I really enjoyed the idea of stealing things from history, I read the book because of the characters. The main character is a boy named Caleb. He is 13 and one of the best time snatchers working for a man named Uncle. Uncle has a crew of five orphans who run through time stealing whatever is asked. Some of the items include flags, the first Frisbee, and even an important umbrella. No task too small or too large. Those who try to get out are subject to mind wipes and/or banishment to The Barrens. Most end up dead. Caleb is put to the test when he learns of what Frank, his competition, is stealing for Uncle.

This book is intended for middle grade, the characters are 13-years-old. I was expecting a happy, fluffy book which this is not. I'm not saying that this book isn't appropriate it just has some parts that were a little more intense than I was expecting. But it was all done in such a tasteful manner. This book is a good introduction to science fiction and I highly recommend it to anyone of any age.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Snatchers.