Chrystal Grcevich's Reviews > Tangled

7292014
Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: first-reads-review-copies
Read from March 26 to April 01, 2012

Tangled is full of intrigue. Mo, our heroine, is always in a crisis that she seemingly creates for herself. She is being chased by those in her world as well as by those in the world of the Arcs, the magic is killing her because of her apparent inability to mend the broken lines and she doubts herself endlessly. Mo cannot sort through her problems without first starting another and she's involved with a man that she cannot - no, wait - should not be with. This is only the beginning! Poor Mo is left to sort through her increasingly complicated life with only a few people that are willing to help hold her above water. However hair brained Mo seems, she manages to make the right decisions to get her goals accomplished. No longer a victim of obliging to everyone else's will, she is a strong-willed individual that let's nothing get in the way of what she wants.

There are so many obstacles placed before her, but Mo is determined to take everything in in her own stride. Each new task is presented with urgency by those wishing her to succumb to the instructions given, but Mo is absolutely headstrong and only does what she feels is most important at the time. Her friend, Lena, is a constant companion throughout the story and she leaves me wondering what secrets she has of her own! The Kowalski girl is an annoyance until about the middle of her role, when Mo realizes that she is more valuable than she seems. We still do not know by the end of the story if the Kowalski girl is friend or foe, but she does offer a glimpse at Mo's family's true nature that cannot be ignored. Luc is still a factor in the story, but not as strong as in the first book. He truly loves Mo, but she is hurt by his arrogance. Colin, of course, is still Colin, which definitely seems to intrigue Mo as she struggles to come to grips with his past. When Mo learns of her father returning from prison, her emotional state fluctuates and causes her physical symptoms from the magic to get seemingly worse.

I enjoyed reading this book, but it did frustrate me! How one person could go through so much without snapping is beyond my understanding. I cannot wait until the completion of this series as it was so entertaining to read. The story has just enough magic and just enough reality to keep you grounded. This particular part of the series seemed to be more well written than the first, but not so much as to jump outside of the realm of what is common for this genre. It is refreshing to have a novelist "grow up" with the characters, whether or not it is intentional. It reminds me of the writing style changes that we see in the Harry Potter books from J.K. Rowling. She started with the writing style of an immature eleven-year-old to a much more wizened character at the end. This is exactly how Ms. O'Rourke progresses, but from the mind of an immature and selfish teenager to a less immature young adult that knows how to get what she wants and needs. Well done.

I received this book in a giveaway provided by Goodreads.com. I was not paid or obligated to submit a review and did so only based on my personal experiences with this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tangled.