Tony's Reviews > End in Tears

End in Tears by Ruth Rendell

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction-crime-detection
Read in March, 2012

END IN TEARS. (2005). Ruth Rendell. ****.
It’s a good thing that I usually write down the names of characters in books as I go through a book, along with a brief description of who they are as they appear in the plot. If I didn’t, I would be lost half-way through this novel by Ms. Rendell. It features her protagonist Wexford, the head of the police in Kingsmarkham, a small city in England. The story moves along nicely, but, frankly, there are just too many characters. Even with my crib sheet, I had to stop and wonder who several of them were when I encounterd them again after a few chapters. Anyway...it’s a trap that Ms. Rendell occassionally falls into. The story starts out with a hooded figure dropping a large concrete block onto a car from a bridge, causing a subsequent crash and the death of the driver – a young woman. Later, a second young woman is killed by being hit from behind with a brick to the head, at night, while walking home from a club. It takes while, but Wexford ultimately ties the two murders together. He decides that the first murder at the bridge underpass was a mistake. The rock thrower meant to kill this young girl, but he got the wrong car. It was the car behind – a silver one – as opposed to the actual one – a gray one of the same model – that he was supposed to hit, but unfortunately could not distinguish them in the dark. Once deciding that the two murders were related, Wesford and his crew try to piece together evidence when suddenly, another young woman is killed – this time by a brutal beating – and left in an unoccupied house. The plot thickens. Ms. Rendell has a terrific imagination, and her stories are unique without unduly stretching your credulity. Recommended – but take notes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read End in Tears.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael this is a great idea! i dont know why I have not done this before now. I often get confused with heavily populated book characters. Thanks for the warning!

JanieB Your idea of keeping a crib sheet is brilliant! I found this book to be overburdened by characters. As the story progressed, it was difficult to remember "who did what'. Well-developed plot, and believable characters.

Tony JanieB wrote: "Your idea of keeping a crib sheet is brilliant! I found this book to be overburdened by characters. As the story progressed, it was difficult to remember "who did what'. Well-developed plot, and ..."

I'm glad my "crutch" is useful to others.