Cornmaven's Reviews > The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters

The Magic Room by Jeffrey Zaslow

Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: adult, non-fiction
Read in March, 2012

This book was so much more than I thought it would be. I expected some nice, poignant stories about brides who come to Becker's Bridal in Fowler, Michigan to pick out their dresses. A lot of awwwwws and moist eyes. Instead, I got some very interesting sociological observances about how our society has changed over decades and decades. I got stories about the bridal store's owners, their various histories, which were almost pure paradoxes when set up against what the store is selling: the promise of forever happiness.

Clearly Zaslow tapped into the complexity of relationships - each back story about each bride differed from each other. Some were connected by courage, others by triumph over adversity. They of course stand in sharp contrast to the caricatures we see on the cable TV bridal shows, which Zaslow mentions. He covers the whole gamut - mother/daughter, father/daughter, grandmother/mother/daughter, step parents, etc.

I did shed tears as I read, especially over the recent tragic death of Zaslow himself. A father of three daughters, he was killed last month in a winter car accident while on the book tour. He was very clear that this book was a gift to his daughters, and some of the stories reflect the fleeting nature of life, that none of us knows how long we have on this earth. He will never walk his daughters down the aisle. As I put the book down, I felt so glad that they will have these words of love to carry with them as they make their way through life without the father who clearly adored them.

We should all be so blessed and lucky to have someone in our lives like that. The stories of the women in The Magic Room attest to it as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Room.