Diana Leigh's Reviews > The Last Girl

The Last Girl by Kitty Thomas

Apr 08, 12

Read from March 10 to April 06, 2012

Kitty Thomas continues to push the taboo envelope in dark literary erotica as seen in her latest release, THE LAST GIRL. This is the ominous tale of a centuries old vampire named Christian acquiring his last human pet, a young woman named Juliette. His obsession with Juliette began when she was thirteen, though he didn’t take her until six years later.

The first thing that jumped out at me about this book was that it’s written in present tense. I’m not usually a fan of present tense, but in stories of this dark nature, it works really well, adding a deeper sense of foreboding for the reader. (The present tense style reminded me of The Taker by Alma Katsu.) Ms. Thomas has a talent for holding her readers captive with her storytelling, and THE LAST GIRL is no exception.

I appreciate that Christian was written as an “old school” vampire, as in he was truly sadistic, cold and calculating, and arrogant, yet at the same time he was sexy and seductive. He introduces young and innocent Juliette to a world of Owner and pet, kinky sex, blood and death, and she is helpless to resist him. I really felt for Juliette as she worried about how her mother would react to losing her. The majority of the story is told from Juliette’s first person point of view, so the reader gets to experience her erotic and terrifying journey with her.

I’ve seen this book described as the paranormal version of Ms. Thomas’ first book, COMFORT FOOD, and I somewhat agree. The stories are similar, but in my opinion, there are differences that really change everything. I had to let the ending percolate in my mind for a while before writing my review. The verdict? Bittersweet. I know that’s an odd word to describe vampire erotica, but to me, it fits perfectly. THE LAST GIRL is an intense and disturbing piece of erotic fiction, definitely not for the faint of heart.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Girl.