Christine's Reviews > The Last Song

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Mar 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: death, grown-ups, guilty-pleasures, romantic, tearjerker, young-adult, read-in-2012
Read from March 01 to 09, 2012

This is one of those cases where I wish I could give half stars.

I haven't read a Nicholas Sparks book in awhile, mostly because I couldn't take the sappiness anymore. I really loved the first 3/4ths of this book. It felt like an angsty YA book instead of the usual Sparks fluffiness. Of course, there were moments where I wanted to shout "Teens don't talk like that!" but I'll let it slide since it's technically not a YA book. But the first part was awesome. Lots of great character growth, and even a couple of plot twists that I didn't expect (which is also a complaint of mine in Sparks books). Then we got to the sad part. I won't reveal what happens, but if you know Nicholas Sparks, you know that there's ALWAYS a sad part, and usually it involves someone finding God just in the nick of time. Maybe it's because I tend to avoid Christian lit like the plague, but somehow the way Nicholas Sparks portrays religion really rubs me the wrong way. You can have a religious character that isn't BFFs with a preacher, reads the Bible all the time, or quotes Bible passages.

Thankfully, he redeemed himself in the last few pages. If it wasn't for my love of music, I probably would have given this book 2 1/2 stars. But between the teen plotlines and the musical references, I enjoyed this book.

Oh, and I haven't seen the movie, but seriously, Miley Cyrus? Are we supposed to believe the girl with the exaggerated Southern accent is really portraying a girl from NYC? She's basically the furthest person from Ronnie that I pictured in my head. For some reason, I pictured someone more like Ellen Page, but that's just me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.