Kat's Reviews > Evil Genius

Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks

Mar 06, 12

Read from March 01 to 06, 2012

Not for me. Other people seem to love this book, but I couldn't get myself to care very much at any time over the several arduous days it took me to complete this novel. Were I not reading the title for an assignment, I would have given up.

The first 200 pages are incredibly tedius. The narrative was descriptive and detailed, but boring to me. It wasn't particularly clever or especially intriguing. It felt like standard fare and the effort put into explaining every detail weighed down the story. The plot begins to pick up after this point, but is needlessly complicated and simply confusing. The revealed twist in the final 50 pages was obvious from the get-go, at least to adults or smart young adults.

I do give the author props for having a non-traditional character and presenting her in an even light. While Cadel, I think, feels some pity for Sonja with her cerebral palsy, I never felt as though the story itself was trying to elicit the same feeling from the reader.

On the whole however, I was most disappointed with how little I cared about Cadel. I never felt like he was a real character, let alone a person. He was a means by which the audience views a complicated, secretive world. His supposed development of a conscience felt flat to me. Perhaps this is because this change occurs in the latter half of the book and I had given up on caring by then. His flashes of righteous indignation and anger as well as claustrophobia over his situation rang true, but I felt these emotions were things anyone would have felt in the situation. They didn't inform me about Cadel in particular. He could have been any kid at all with above average intelligence.

This could have been 250 pages and vaguely interesting. Instead it was nearly 500 pages and ensured that I will never read this author again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evil Genius.

03/04/2012 page 197