Jenie's Reviews > Dispatches from a Public Librarian

Dispatches from a Public Librarian by Scott Douglas

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: nonfic, ebooks, free-nook-book
Read in March, 2012

I'm a little conflicted in my rating, because while I enjoyed his storytelling, Douglas's attitude toward his patrons and job is fairly derisive. He frequently comes off as a serious tool. I understand his feeling toward the public, because I've worked most of my life in the service industry, and people can be pretty awful. But Douglas seems to feel MOST people are beneath him, and that's an attitude I can't tolerate. That said, he also has a dry sense of humor and is also rather witty, so when he's not being a tool--which is actually most of the book--he tells compelling stories about life in public service. As a former bookseller, I know that a great deal of what he writes about is fairly endemic, and this book was a real eye-opener. I'm really glad I'm not a librarian.

This book seems to be excerpted from his longer work, Quiet Please, Dispatches from a Public Librarian, and I think I would like to read that. As I said, Douglas is an interesting storyteller, and his tales are interesting and eye-opening...if one can get past his occasional forays into snottiness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dispatches from a Public Librarian.

Lori I'm pretty sure I read this one and felt the same way about his holier than thou attitude. I also thought that he didn't give enough credit to the awesome members of the public who often make up for the awful ones. And trust me, I AM a librarian and I know awful but I also know about the shining rays of sunshine that walk through the door just as you're ready to run screaming through the stacks.

message 2: by Jenie (new) - added it

Jenie Yep; thank heaven for the nice people...and they ARE out there. :)