Chantelle Finley's Reviews > Numbers

Numbers by Rachel Ward

Mar 03, 12

Read from March 01 to 02, 2012

I really hated this book.

I expected a typical neat and tidy ya paranormal thriller so when the book began and we were reading through the eyes of a gritty street-wise teen with a tragic past who rarely goes to school and has no friends I was excited that maybe there may be more to this book than the "nice" books common to this genre. I was charmed at first by Jem's tragic life and London street dialect, but the charm soon wore off. Absolutely nothing happens in this book and I hate all the characters.

My first issue is with the plot, or lack thereof. It's a great premise and the synopsis sounds exciting, but it was a great let-down. The terrorist attack that the book jacket made sound so interesting was not. She saw that a bunch of people were going to die, she ran, they died and that was it. She didn't use her ability for anything exciting, there were no follow-up attacks to prevent and nothing further happened except that they ran through fields for three-quarters of the book.

If a book is not plot-driven, it may be character-driven but, sadly, this book failed on that account as well. Jem is bitter because of her past, I get that, but she is annoying, boring and super selfish. I did not care AT ALL what happened to her. Ward tries to write about her growth during the events of the books but she doesn't grow that much. She makes a pretty speech at the end but the only thing that finally makes her into a decent person occurs in the epilogue and we don't see it, just the result. Spider was sweet at times, but in her attempt to make a nitty-gritty real book she made Spider so "real" he was repellent. I really did not want to read over and over about how much he smelled, how stupid he was, the poor choices he made and his uncouth eating habits. The relationship between the two main characters was unrealistic considering the fact that she spent most of the book observing how gross he was.

All in all it was a promising, but ultimately disappointing read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Numbers.