Kristen's Reviews > Coveted

Coveted by Shawntelle Madison

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, magical, paranormal, urban-fantasy, wizards, wolves

GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: werewolves, wizards, necromancer, goblin
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Coveted is the first book in a new Urban Fantasy series by debut author Shawntelle Madison. I’m a big fan of werewolf novels and always looking for something different with that genre. Madison does just that with creating a lead character having a unique habit of collecting Christmas ornaments, which made me laugh. I can only image what her house looks like.

Natalya is an outcast of her pack, picking up this habit after her ex-boyfriend left her and she gave up her chances of a real job. She begins working at a small shop in town, where years later her ex comes back and is now the Alpha of her old pack. While trying to get her life back together and getting control of her OCD, she has to deal with being a target of a rival pack. Along with some friends she meets in her therapy sessions, she has to step up and fight her past and stay alive.

Natalya, was a really interesting heroine, not really a tough as nails type of girl I normally read about in Urban Fantasies. Her OCD is a little strange and I really wished she should would have stood up for herself a little more, especially with Thorn. Otherwise near the end she really starts to show her kick butt side and picking up the pieces.

Then there are the boy, Thorn and Nick. Both have a unique relationship with Natalya. Thorn does have a past and there is definitely chemistry but sadly his father doesn’t approve of her. Nick is a bit of a mystery, he helps Natalya with her OCD and I can see there might be some more interactions later on. Plus he’s a wizard and gave her a rose; I think he might make for an interesting love interest. Don’t expect a lot of romance, there are some hints but not majorly focused on.

Overall I enjoyed this new UF, it has a lot of humor but still keeps its focus on Natalya trying to recover from her past and growing up in a way. There are a lot fun side characters, including Natalya’s BFF Abby who makes for some more drama in her life. Plus a lot of involvement with Natalya’s family and her friends in therapy, bring a lot of excitement to Coveted.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is an adult novel that is perfect for fans of authors Jenn Bennett and Devon Monk and for those looking for a different twist in the Urban Fantasy genre.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coveted.