Becky's Reviews > Sounder

Sounder by William H. Armstrong

May 22, 09

bookshelves: classics, historical-fiction, owned, tear-jerkers, young-adult, 2009, reviewed, the_south
Read in May, 2009

I remember reading this when I was maybe 8 or 9, and of being completely inconsolable afterwards. I have an overactive empathy gene, I think, so certain books affect me far more that I would like to be affected. Thankfully, this time around, I was able to read through this without going through a box of Kleenex during and a period of depression afterwards.

Sounder is a story that deals with loyalty and loss, as well as courage and perseverance in the face of racism and hatred and meanness. So many difficult issues packed into such a small package, and yet Armstrong pulls it off without being overbearing or preachy.

I love this book, and I am glad that I was able to experience it again as an adult. I love the message conveyed at the end (and I'm paraphrasing here): Even though what we've loved is gone, it still lives on in our memory, so it is eternal and cannot be destroyed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sounder.

05/22/2009 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa Becky, I read this at an early age too, and for years I thought it was just about the dog--sort of like Old Yeller. I guess I was too young to pick up on the race issues, which means I need to give it another reading.

I remember being in our elementary school library and sitting at a table listening to this story. One of my animal-lover classmates was sitting with tears streaming down her face. That's an image I've retained for 35 years!

Becky I did the same thing. I missed SO much about this book when I read it as part of the intended audience! The racism, the loyalty, the suffering (except for Sounder's), the hunger and the poverty. Nope. All of that went over my head.

This is definitely one that should be read by an adult. It's such a quick read that it's easy to squeeze it in between books!