Kicy Motley's Reviews > There are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in the Other America

There are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz

Mar 03, 12

Read in March, 2012

What an amazing book. Heart-wrenching, tragic, sad, loving, honest. I love how it was written in a journalistic style. Simple, strait forward, just reporting the facts which speak for themselves. Sometimes the entire situation could be summed up in one sentence, such as the simple statement that after seeing so much death LaJoe decided to buy burial insurance for her two preteen boys. How much does that say.

I think like many of the residents of these communities, you too will have a breaking point in this book. A point when you become so filled with rage at the injustice or so sad about the misery that you just have to put the book down for a second.

If you want to understand poverty, read this book. If you want to understand why it is so hard to break the cycle of poverty and why it gets passed on from generation to generation, read this book.

Hopefully this will book will inspire people to take an active role in impoverished communities, so we can break the cycle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There are No Children Here.

dateDown_arrow    newest »