Elaine's Reviews > Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs

Mind in the Making by Ellen Galinsky

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: parenting, non-fiction
Read from March 01 to 16, 2012

I can't tell you how much this book inspired me. I am going to get a copy for myself and incorporate it into all of my literacy training.

It isn't just that there are so many cited studies in this book to back up why you should be working on the seven essential skills with your child--it is also that they describe HOW and WHY the studies were conducted. I knew of several of the studies already, but this built upon my knowledge of study construction for infants, toddlers, and young children.

I also like that this book takes the view that you can teach these skills at any time. Unlike the literacy window, these are lifelong skills that we can even learn as adults.

Though I am right on track as a parent with some of the skills, there are some areas I will be working on in the near future. I think every parent should read this book and adjust their parenting accordingly. Luckily, even though the book is full of discussions of scientific studies, this was an easy read because there were so many parent experiences sprinkled in.

I'm so excited to start giving this as a baby shower gift. Truly something to help you understand your child!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind in the Making.