Melissa's Reviews > Any Bitter Thing

Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood

5619527
Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish, controversial-plot-points, deep-moving, heart-wrenching
Read from March 01 to 06, 2012

I wanted to love this book. I also wanted to finish reading it, but I just couldn't. For these reasons I shouldn't rate it, but honestly I believe Ms. Wood has a great career ahead of her as a writer, I just didn't love this book.

Some parts were beautiful and exquisite and the description was mouth-watering, but it moved so s l o w that it just didn't grab my attention. Every time I got to a part that I hoped would reveal something she would either move forward in time or backward in time and change the POV and it was confusing. Her characters had depth and I would really love to know how it ends, but every time I tried to read it I found myself giving up after 20 pages and just not caring.

So unfortunately this book will never be finished.... *sigh*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Bitter Thing.

03/01/2012 page 150

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rose So sorry you missed reading the whole book. At a certain point it did seem a bit slow, but then the plot took a very surprising turn which I can't reveal without spoiling things. From then on I couldn't put it down. Ms Wood is a talented and inventive writer who crafted a believable but unexpected story line which throws us a curve not once but twice, revealing another "didn't see that coming" twist close to the end.